2014-15 Annual Report
July 1, 2014
- During 2014-15, FCH leadership team met monthly through GoToMeeting Conference Calls for planning, implementation, consultation, collaboration, and dialogue on anything relevant to their mission, the FCH Pre-Conference and the FCH Five Year Strategic Plan. Minutes are available for each of these meetings.
- On Nov. 18-20, 2014, the FCH Leadership met in Chicago for planning and in preparation to meet the NCCL Board on Nov. 19 from 9:00 am to noon. The NCCL Board and the FCH Leadership team met to get acquainted and discussed the FCH Five Year Strategic Plan. Maria G. Covarrubias, FCH President, stayed to join the NCCL Rep Council Meeting from Nov. 20-22. On Nov. 21, 2014, she gave a FCH report to the NCCL Rep. Council.
- On March 10 & 11, 2015 – the FCH leadership team met in Orange, CA before the LA Religious Education Congress to revise the 5 year strategic plan and to finalize the planning for the FCH Pre-Conference.
FCH Action Plans/ 5 year Strategic Plan
The Five Year Strategic Plan continues to unfold in line to the six values/action plans:
Space for conversation- Evangelization
Advocacy – Empowering
Cultural Fluency (Intra/extra/inter)
One of the values of FCH is collaboration. During 2014-15, FCH collaborated with other organizations in the following ways:
- FCH Representation on the 2015 (Miriam Hidalgo, Communications Officer) and 2016 (Rita-Ann Martinez, FCH Member) NCCL Conference Planning Committee. FCH collaborated by participating and providing a list of Spanish Speaking Speakers to present workshops during the 2015 NCCL conference.
- On September 23, 2014, Julie Blevins, FCH Secretary, Peter Ductram, Grants Officer and Maria G. Covarrubias, FCH President collaborated with Ave Maria Press in doing a webinar on the “Best Practices of Catechesis with Hispanics.”
- FCH President, Maria G. Covarrubias, participated in promoting NCCL and FCH at the LA Religious Education Congress in Anaheim, California.
- Peter Ductram, Grants Officer, is representing FCH at the ENAVE (Equipo Nacional Para el V Encuentro), the National Committee for the V Encuentro.
- In November 2014, the FCH election guidelines were developed with the collaboration and expertise of Dr. Marc Gonzalez, Director of Faith Formation from the Diocese of Las Vegas; Brian Garcia-Luense, Associate Director for the Office of Evangelization and Catechesis, and Julie Blevins, Director of the Office of Evangelization and Catechesis both from the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
- In January 2015 a discernment team was gathered to direct the FCH 2015 nomination process and elections. The members of this discernment team are Lupita Vital, Director of the Office of Hispanic Ministry in the Diocese of San Jose; Juan Carlos Moreno, Associate Director for the Office of Evangelization and Catechesis from the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, Rita Ann Martinez, FCH Vice President, and Victor Valenzuela, FCH Financial Officer.
Membership Categories and Annual Dues
On January 5th, FCH and NCCL finalized the following membership categories, annual dues and membership benefits:
Federation Colleague –Annual Dues- $15 (USD)
- Diocesan and/or parish catechetical leaders with the specific function of working with or interested in catechesis with Hispanics. These members are eligible to vote, hold office (after attending two consecutive pre-conferences), and serve on committees. FCH membership fee for individuals is $15.00 payable to NCCL. This entitles the member of all the benefits of NCCL and FCH. Pre-conference registration fee is $60.00. NCCL Membership status must be current. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Federation Advocate –Annual Dues- $100 (USD)
- Corporate organizations such as: diocesan offices, publishers, educational institutions, religious communities and other national organizations vested in catechesis with Hispanics. These members are eligible to vote, hold office (after attending two consecutive pre-conferences), and serve on committees. Membership fees for such organizations, plus $100.00 if members of FCH. This includes up to 5 members. Additional members are $15.00 each. Pre-conference registration fee is $60.00 per member of that organization if they do not contribute to the expenses of the Pre-conference meeting. NCCL Membership must be current. Please email the names of five members to the NCCL office.
Federation Affiliate- Annual Dues- $35
- Those catechists who are potential future catechetical leaders and have been recommended by their diocesan or parish catechetical leader. The fee for the affiliate is $35.00 payable to NCCL. This entitles to all the benefits of FCH (excludes voting or holding office) and free registration for the pre-conference.
Benefits to Members of NCCL/FCH
- Close collaboration with NCCL in the furthering of the mission of Catechesis with Hispanics
- Eligible to vote, hold office and serve on committees
- Pre-Conference presentations on national research and trends on Catechesis with Hispanics and related topics of interest
- Network with those ministering in catechesis with Hispanics
- Mentorship in Catechesis with Hispanics
- Share best practices in Catechesis with Hispanics
- Be part of the development of teaching aids and resources to enrich the catechesis, in particular Catechesis with Hispanics.
- Advocacy for better formed and trained leadership and resources for catechesis with Hispanics
Website, Newsletter, and Webinars
On April 17, 2015- FCH presented the first two of a series of six one hour webinars in English and Spanish. The presenter for both webinars was Fr. Eduardo Fernandez, S.J. from the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley University. The themes were: USA Hispanic Catholics and Enseñando Como Jesús. On June 11, the third webinar took place as a follow up of the theme of the Pre-Conference “Effective Catechesis with US Born Hispanic Youth.” The presenter was Ken Johnson-Mondragón, Pastoral Team/Consultant for the Instituto Fe y Vida.
2015 FCH Pre- Conference Planning
The FCH leadership team worked diligently from August 2014 to May 2015 in planning and organizing the 2015 FCH Pre-Conference (theme, keynote speakers, schedule of the day, communication and collaboration with publishers and donors, communication and collaboration with the NCCL Board and pertaining committees, marketing the event and finalizing details for environment, equipment, registration, processes, etc.).
2015 FCH PRE-CONFERENCE – MAY 17, 2015 in Buffalo, NY
Theme: “Effective Catechesis with US Born Hispanic Youth”
Presenters: Ken Johnson-Mondragón, Pastoral Team/Consultant for the Instituto Fe y Vida and Lynette Saenz, Director of Cultural Diversity, Diocese of Rochester NY.
- The Pre-Conference was live streamed to those catechetical and youth leaders who could not attend the Pre-Conference.
- FCH Scholarship Fund for local Catechetical Leaders was available.
Goal for the Pre-Conference
Given the diversity of the United States population and that Hispanics are the most growing population, it is extremely important to have an organization that provides a space for networking, consultation, the sharing of resources and best practices, and ongoing learning in regards to Catechesis with Hispanics.
FINANCES: Grants and Donations
- In 2014-15, FCH received the second installment of the NCCL Annual Campaign granted to FCH back in 2013 – total amount collected was $ 8,325.00 divided in three years
- On October 1st, 2014 FCH received a grant of $ 8,333.00 from the John Joseph Sigstein Foundation to fund the Pre-Conference keynote speakers, the website, the digital newsletters, the webinars presenter’s fees.
- In December, Loyola Marymount University from LA donated FCH $ 3,000 to cover expenses of the FCH Pre-Conference panel.
- FCH continues to explore other opportunities for grants/funding
Building and Maintaining Collaboration and Relationships with:
NCADDHM and NCCHM
Catholic Apostolate Center
JJ Sigstein Foundation
Loyola Marymount University
National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry
FCH Leadership Team:
After a process established by the discernment committee, on May 20, 2015, FCH had elections for three positions: Vice-President, Finance and Membership Officers during the NCCL Conference. The existing and new leaders are:
- Maria G. Covarrubias, President (2013-16) – Diocese of San Bernardino
- Julie Blevins, Secretary (2013-17) – Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
- Miriam Hidalgo, Communications (2013-17) – Diocese of
- Peter Ductram, Fund Development (2013-16) – Archdiocese of Miami
- Lori Dahlhoff, Membership (2015-18) Executive Director, Religious Education Department of the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
- Diana Pizarro, Vice President (2015-18) – Diocese of Rockville
- Martin Lopez, Finance (2015-18) – Loyola Press
FCH officially welcomes Lori Dahlhoff, Diana Pizarro and Martin Lopez to the FCH Leadership Team!
The FCH Leadership Team thanks all and every one of you for your prayers, support, generosity, and collaboration. A big “Thank you” to our God for his kindness and blessings during this year!
Submitted by: Maria G. Covarrubias, FCH President – July 1, 2015